6 lb. Flathead Fireman's style single bit axe with curved hickory handle.
Dayton patterned head. Used in all manner of municipal fire fighting applications, chopping, battering, door stop, ect. Cutting edge is approximately 5" in overall length and the poll is square.
- Forged tool steel head. Made in USA.
- Body fully polished, hand sharpened, tapered bit for cutting.
- ANSI Standards call for bit hardness of Rc 45-60, at least ½ inch back from the cutting edge. Council Tool internal standards call for tempered bit hardness of Rc 48-55 and we target 1-1/4 inches from the cutting edge. The poll and eye walls are not hardened and remain in the as forged condition.
- Body coated with fire engine red enamel and the cutting edges in clear lacquer to deter rust.
- 32" or 36" curved hickory handle. Eye section is dried to below 10% moisture content to minimize shrinkage and help prevent loosening.
- Axe head is hydraulically seated onto handle and secured with a serrated aluminum wedge. The serrated shape improves bite and the aluminum choice of material is strong, lightweight and does not change size with moisture content.
- The interior detail of the eye is tapered and allows for a strong mechanical bond. Approximately 1/2" of the overall length of the handle is removed during assembly.
- Available with 32" or 36" hickory handle.