The true versatility of the Kestrel 5500 becomes apparent with the addition of the Kestrel Vane Mount.
Measure every environmental condition plus wind direction, crosswind and headwind/tailwind. Use it golfing, sailing, flying, spraying, shooting and more. Drop-proof, dust-proof, waterproof and able to withstand extreme environments without damage, your Kestrel weather meter travels with you anywhere you dare to go. A range of carry pouch options makes it even easier to take your Kestrel meter with you.
- Measures wind speed, temperature, humidity, pressure and direction.
- 14 total meteorological parameters measured, calculated and displayed real-time and stored in memory, including advanced meteorological measurements such as dew point temperature, wet bulb temperature and density altitude.
- Large, hi-res, hi-contrast, graphic display is perfectly readable in the brightest sunlight and is backlit for nighttime use.
- Optional LiNK connectivity powered by Bluetooth Smart® provides wireless communication to mobile devices and computers.
- Rugged (drop tested to MIL-STD-810G standards), waterproof (sealed to IP67 standards) and floats.
- Protective pouch, neck lanyard and Lithium AA battery included.
- 5-year warranty.
- Used in meteorology, hiking, camping, expeditions, agriculture, research, aviation, sailing, long-range shooting, military operations and more.
The new Kestrel 5 Series platform adds many new features and options. If you’re familiar with the Kestrel 4500, the first thing you’ll notice is the larger, higher-resolution and contrast display and improved font readability. The Kestrel 5 series also includes a built-in dual color backlight, extra-strong polycarbonate lens and AA battery operation, along with optional LiNK iOS and Android wireless connectivity and app support. Like all Kestrel meters, the Kestrel 5500 is drop-proof, dust-proof, waterproof and able to withstand harsh environments without damage – so it can so it can work or play as hard as you do, wherever you go. A range of carry pouch options makes it even easier to take your Kestrel meter with you.
In addition to measuring the current environmental conditions, the Kestrel 5500 tracks and logs over 10,000 sets of time-stamped data. Your data log can be transferred to a mobile device wirelessly with the LiNK wireless communication option and Kestrel LiNK app, or to a PC/MAC with either the accessory Kestrel LiNK Dongle or waterproof USB Data Transfer Cable (Both sold separately).
The true versatility of the Kestrel 5500 becomes apparent with the addition of the Kestrel Vane Mount. This precision-engineered accessory securely mounts the Kestrel 5500 to any tripod or other ¼-20 fitted bracket. Once mounted, the Kestrel 5500 becomes a full-featured weather station – with a large wind vane and precision pivot keeping the Kestrel oriented into the wind for continuous measurement and logging of wind speed, wind direction, and all other key weather parameters. The Kestrel LiNK app also displays the Kestrel’s real-time readings on a vivid, customizable dashboard – providing a remote display that functions up to 200’ away (line of sight). The ENTIRE Kestrel 5500 + Vane Mount kit weighs just 10.5 ounces / 295 grams, and packs into the included padded belt carry pouch that is just 2.5 x 3 x 8.5 inches / 6.5 x 7.5 x 22 cm. Providing hundreds of hours of accurate measurements, the Kestrel 5500 is truly the world’s most compact weather station. The Rotating Vane Mount is included with the 5500 with LiNK, or available for purchase separately. It works with any Kestrel 5 Series meter.
Kestrels have been put to the test in some of the harshest conditions on the planet. U.S. Special Forces, combat weather teams, wildland firefighters, smoke jumpers, Mt. Everest expeditions and auto pit crews are just a few who rely on a Kestrel to provide them with the crucial environmental data they need. Watch any on-screen meteorologist during a hurricane, and you’re sure to spot a Kestrel in action. Be your own meteorologist, anywhere in the world, with a Kestrel 5500.
- Kestrel LiNK for mobile: Android and iOS apps put crucial information at your fingertips with real time remote data viewing on phones and tablets up to 100' away. Kestrel LiNK also provides easy data export, threshold alerts and simple firmware updates.
- LiNK wireless connectivity powered by Bluetooth Smart: Robust connectivity to both iOS and Android mobile devices as well as Windows and MAC computers. (Computers require optional Kestrel USB Dongle)
- USB Data Transfer Cable: Low profile, lightweight, waterproof cable provides wired connectivity to Windows and MAC computers for fast data uploads and firmware updates. Compatible with every model in the Kestrel 5 series.
- Sleek, rugged tripod vane mount: Small, secure, robust, vane mount turns any Kestrel 5 series meter into a portable weather station that remains oriented into the wind. (Included in some models where noted, otherwise sold accessory)
- Large high contrast screen: Easily readable text in almost any setting, including bright sunlight, with more visible information on the screen at all times. This high resolution display is easy on the eyes, allowing you to get more information from customizable user screens, charting and graphing options without causing eye strain or fatigue.
- Dual color backlight: Toggle backlight color between standard white and night-vision-preserving red (NV). The red NV backlight features an optical wavelength selected to help users sustain natural night vision and reduced brightness to avoid detection during night maneuvers.
- Secure battery door: Large O-ring sealed door provides easy, tool-free battery access.
- Scratch and breakage-resistant window: Rigid, polycarbonate lens with scratch-coating protects the display from damage.
- Corrosion-resistant battery compartment: Battery in isolated from electronics, reducing damage in the event of a battery leak. (Note: Lithium AA batteries recommended to avoid battery leakage altogether.)
- Intuitive user-interface: Icon-based navigation, intuitive keypad, and multiple languages make the Kestrel a breeze to use.