List: $36.05 |Save: $2.66
PGI Cobra Classic Carbon Shield Hood, NFPA Cert.
Now PGI's Cobra™ Series is available in Revolutionary Carbon Fiber!As technology continually moves forward, you've relied on PGI to be the innovators in developing, designing and introducing the latest in protective fabrics. Carbon Shield™ is a flame resistant fabric breakthrough based on carbon fiber technology. The fabric simply won't burn in air. Tests show that Carbon Shield™ doesn't shrink, crack or decompose when exposed to direct heat or flame at temperatures exceeding 2300 degrees F (1300 degrees C) for over 90 seconds. In comparison, the leading flame resistant fabrics burn, begin to shrink while charring, then crack and decompose. This is all in about 5 seconds. Carbon Shield™ is manufactured through a proprietary cooking process where the yarns receive their initial carbonization. This process of carbonizing the fiber, by actually forging it in fire, is what sets Carbon Shield™ apart from all other flame resistant fabrics. There's no room for compromise when it comes to protection. Carbon Shield™ is the ultimate high-tech fabric for thermal protection and comfort.
- Double-ply hood provides coverage of neck, upper chest and to the top of shoulder blades
- Contoured shoulders reduce bunching of bib
- Flat stitched seams
- X-heavy 1/2" wide elasticized face opening
- Cover stitched bound drape
- UL Classified to NFPA 1971: Standard on Protective Ensembles for Structural Fire Fighting and Proximity Fire Fighting – Current Edition
If exposed to extreme heat or flame fabric glows but won’t burn. It retains a certain tenacity at temperatures exceeding 2300°F for over 90 seconds.
Absolutely melt-proof and doesn’t become stiff. It remains soft to the touch after being exposed to fire.
Arc Resistant – ATPV 23.3 HRC 2
Superior Protection from Welding Sparks and Molten Metal
Resists pin-holing from welding sparks and splatter. Sheds most molten metals and will not melt, ignite or burn even in the most severe levels of exposure offering unparalleled protection from molten metal splash.
The space between the clothing and the body reduces and protects against burns. Carbon Shield™ is almost totally non-shrinking when exposed to flame and heat.
Forms No Openings
If an opening should form, fire comes into direct contact with the body and increases the possibility for burns. Because fabric doesn’t melt or stiffen and is non-shrinking, it develops no openings.
Deposits No Tar
When clothing melts or stiffens and decomposes in a fire, it deposits a by-product tar in the form of a liquid, which has a similar effect as melting increasing the risk of burns. Carbon Shield™ deposits no tar.
Low Heat Conductivity – (Disburses Heat Energy)
In order to ensure the time to escape from fire, clothing must possess the property of delaying the transmission of heat. PGI’s Carbon Shield™ has a low heat conductivity.
Excellent for police/swat teams as well as military applications.
Natural Black Color Hides Soil
Lightweight Yet Excellent TPP
Weighs only 6.5 oz. /sq. yd. which is over 20% lighter than most NFPA compliant hoods, yet still has excellent Thermal Protection Performance (TPP) rating of 28.
|Excellent Stretch & Recovery Properties|
1 x 1 Rib knit construction. Knit to allow 200% stretch for maximum stretch and recovery.
Fabric has an excellent moisture regain (approx. 8%) and wicks moisture away from the skin to the outer shell, enabling it to evaporate at a rapid rate. The aspect of wicking moisture off the body not only offers a more comfortable garment but also improves protection.
Excellent resistance to organic solvents, weak alkalis and weak acids.
Excellent Shape Retention
Unlike some hood fabrics which don’t hold their shape after laundering, Carbon Shield™ has extremely low shrinkage and looks virtually unchanged after repeated washings and dryings. Also, after laundering fabric showed no change in flame resistance or thermal protection.
Odor Absorbing Qualitiesâ€¨
Has ability to absorb and neutralize unpleasant odors, a considerable advantage when opportunities for washing are limited.
Resistant to Ultra Violet Rays
Will not fade or weaken when exposed to UV rays.
Highest Limiting Oxygen Index (LOI)
Flame resistance is commonly measured by LOI, the amount of oxygen needed to support combustion. The higher the LOI value, the more flame resistant the material. Carbon Shield™ has an LOI which is over 50% higher than Nomex and 33% higher than PBI FR Rayon blends.
Meets NFPA Requirements
UL Classified to meet the current hood requirements of NFPA 1971, Standard on Protective Ensembles for Structural Fire fighting and Proximity Fire Fighting (Classic, Ultimate and Elite Styles).
Meets CAL-OSHA REQUIRMENTS
Passes Fed. Test 191, Method 5903.2: CAL-OSHA Sections 3406(d)
Complies with OSHA Rule 29 CFR Part 1910, 269
Meets CE Requirements
Meets or exceeds Draft European Standard prEN 13911 (Classic, Ultimate and Elite Styles).
Compliant with NFPA 70E – Current Edition.
Meeting the performance specifications of ASTM-F-1506 (On double ply hoods)
- Outer shell is a blend of Carbon/High Strength Aramid -approx. 6.5 oz sq yd.
- 1 x 1 rib knit fabric - knit to allow approx. 200% stretch for maximum stretch and recovery.
- Calendared to minimize laundry shrinkage.
- All stitching conforms to federal Standard 751 Specifications (FED-STD-751).
- Major seams are flat seam assembled, stitch type 607.
- Elastic in face opening is serged in with stitch type 504 and reinforced with bottom cover-stitch, stitch type 406.
- Binding is applied with bottom cover-stitch, stitch type 406.
- Composed of two layers throughout.
- Seamed from top of face opening to bottom back then cover-stitched for extra strength.
- Face opening is circular in shape and serged with x-heavy duty ½" wide elastic around the perimeter. The elastic is then folded back ½" and cover stitched. The face opening stretches a full 16" (which is 25% more than conventional hoods) for easy donning and a snug fit around face of SCBA mask. Face opening maintains original shape after repeated launderings.
- The bottom edge of hood is bound with self-material bias binding.
- Shoulders are contoured on each side allowing the hood to lie flat on the chest and back for maximum coverage.
- Face opening is circular and measures between 4.6" to 5.6" in diameter.
- Length of hood below face opening approx. 9".
- Length of hood at side from top to bottom approx. 15".
- Length of hood at front and back from top to bottom approx. 18½".
FABRIC PERFORMANCE VALUES:
|Arc Thermal Performance Value (ATPV)||23.3|
|Thermal Protective Performance|
|After 5 washings (seconds)||27.6|
|Initial (inches)||0 x 0|
|Warp (wales) x Fill (Courses)|
|After 5 washings (seconds)||0 x 0|
|Initial (inches)||2 x 1.9|
|After 5 washings (inches)||1.4 x 2.3|
|Fabric Burst Strength (N)||287|
|Seam Burst Strength (N)||469.1|
|Heat and Thermal Shrinkage|
|After 5 washings||0%|
|Limiting Oxygen Index (LOI)||55|
|Melt or Drip when exposed to flame||None|
- Each hood is clearly labeled to identify material contents, NFPA acceptance, UL Classification, Date of Manufacture, and Care Instructions. Included with each hood is a complete users information guide.
- Meets or Exceeds Industry Standards
- UL classified to meet or exceed NFPA 1971-Current Edition; European standard 13911-June 2008 (CE marked to EC directive 89/686/EEC);
- Compliant with CAL-OSHA, Sections 3406 and 3410(d) and OSHA Rule 29 CFR, Part 1910, 269.
- Compliant with NFPA 70E Current Edition and meets performance specifications of ASTM-F-1506.
- ARC Rating: 23.3 – Hazard / Risk Category – 2.
Ratings & Reviews
Using it while working construction
Not long enough
Good good needs to be longer have used it at numerous fires performed well but does ride up a little exposing the back of your neck.
I have had this hood in a couple of fires now and it is very comfortable and lightweight. Keeps you warm in the snow and ice.
Great product! Great fit and covereage
I use this hood for fire/rescue coverage at a local dirt race track.Great fit and lightweight.