Double-ply hood with Comfort Plus liner for cooler, drier wearPBI, an extraordinary fiber that does not burn in air, has changed the fire service’s expectations for protection, comfort and performance. Blended with Lenzing FR® the fabric is the lightest, most comfortable flame resistant hood fabric on the market. With a moisture absorbency of 13%, the PBI blend fabric will absorb up to five times more perspiration than typical aramid fabrics. Thermal Protective Performance (TPP) testing indicates the fabric has the highest TPP rating ounce per ounce of any flame resistant material in the market. For example, a 5.7 oz./sq. yd. PBI/Lenzing FR® blend outershell lined with our lightweight 6 oz./sq. yd. Comfort-Plus™ lining has an outstanding TPP rating of 38 after five washings! Additionally, the fabric resists most chemicals and provides excellent flame resistance with char lengths approximately 25% less than aramid fabrics. Along with outstanding protection and comfort, the PBI/Lenzing FR blend is practical. The natural tan color hides soils and is easily washed and dried. Fabric is prescoured and heat set to maintain shape and fit.
- Inherently Flame Resistant
- Low thermal shrinkage
- Excellent moisture management – wicks moisture better than cotton.
- Good chemical resistance
- Incredibly lightweight and soft; no itch or irritation
- Ounce per ounce the highest TPP on the market
- Tan color hides soil
- High initial cost
- Average wear life
- Most comfortable hood on the market
- Meets CAL-OSHA Requirementsâ€¨Passes Fed. Test 191, Method 5903.2: CAL OSHA Sections 3406(d)
- Complies with OSHA Rule 29 CFR Part 1910, 269
|Arc Thermal Performance Value (ATPV)|
|Thermal Protection Performance (TPP)|
|After 5 washings (seconds)||38|
|*TPP at heat flux of 2.0 cal/cm2 sec|
|After 5 washings (seconds)||0x0|
|After 5 washing (inches)|
|Fabric Burst Strength (N)||N/A|
|Seam Burst Strength (N)||601|
|Heat and thermal Shrinkage||0%|
|After 5 washings||32|
|Limiting Oxygen Index (LOI)|
|Melt or Drip when exposed to flame||None|
- Provides coverage of neck, upper chest and to the top
of the shoulder blades
- Contoured shoulders reduce bunching of bib
- Flat stitched seams
- X-heavy 1/2" wide elasticized face opening
- Cover stitched bound drape
- UL Classified to NFPA 1971: Standard on Protective Ensembles for Structural Fire Fighting and Proximity Fire Fighting – Current Edition
- Outer shell is a blend of PBI®/Lenzing FR® – approx. 5.7 oz. sq. yd.
- Lining is Comfort Plus™ -approx. 6 oz sq yd.
- 1 x 1 rib knit fabric - knit to allow approx. 130% stretch for maximum stretch and recovery.
- Calendared to minimize laundry shrinkage.
STITCH TYPES AND SEAMS:
- All stitching conforms to federal Standard 751 Specifications (FED-STD-751).
- Major seams are flat seam assembled, stitch type 607.
- Elastic in face opening is serged in with stitch type 504 and reinforced with bottom cover-stitch, stitch type 406.
- Binding is applied with bottom cover-stitch, stitch type 406.
- All seams are sewn with 100% Nomex thread size Tex 40.
- Composed of two layers throughout.
- Seamed from top of face opening to bottom back then cover-stitched for extra strength.
- Face opening is circular in shape and serged with x-heavy duty ½" wide elastic around the perimeter. The elastic is then folded back ½" and cover stitched. The face opening stretches a full 16" (which is 25% more than conventional hoods) for easy donning and a snug fit around face of SCBA mask. Face opening maintains original shape after repeated launderings.
- The bottom edge of hood is bound with self-material bias binding.
- Shoulders are contoured on each side allowing the hood to lie flat on the chest and back for maximum coverage.